Dissolution of Parliament
07-17-2009, 11:26 PM
Dissolution of Parliament
My Lords and Gentlemen: the King!
Find all posts by this user
07-17-2009, 11:28 PM
RE: Dissolution of Parliament
My Lords and Gentlemen,

I never hoped to first present myself here upon so unpleasant an occasion, it being the Dissolution of a Parliament. Therefore, you may have some cause to wonder why I should not rather choose to do this by Commission, it being a general maxim of Kings to leave harsh commands to their ministers, themselves only executing pleasing things.

Yet, considering that Justice as well consists in reward and praise of virtue as punishing of vice, I thought it necessary to come here today, to declare to you, and all the World, that it was merely the undutiful and seditious carriage of four of your number that has caused the Dissolution of this Parliament; and you apart from the aforementioned four, who are my true and faithful Lords, Knights and Burgesses, are so far from being any causers of it, that I take as much comfort in your dutiful demeanors, as I am justly distasted with their proceedings.

Yet, to avoid mistakings, let me tell you, that it is so far from me to adjudge all the House alike guilty, that I know that there are many there as dutiful subjects as any in the World; it being but some few vipers amongst you that did cast this mist of undutifulness over this House and Our Realm.

To conclude, as those vipers must look for their reward of punishment; so you, my good and faithful Lords, gentle and loyal Knights and entirely trusty Burgesses, must justly expect from me that favour and protection that a good King owes to his loving and faithful subjects.

And now, Speaker of Parliament, do what I have commanded you.
07-17-2009, 11:28 PM
RE: Dissolution of Parliament
My Lords, and Gentlemen, The King's Majesty doth dissolve this Parliament. Extra Omnes! God save the King!
Thread Closed